Post event report:
On May 1st an intrepid group of adventurous riders congregated at the Great Harvest Bread Co. to start the first annual May Day Ride. The bikes involved were varied and some historical. There was a Braxton, an Amminoti, several Treks, Several Guerciotti bikes, a Schwinn Paramount, a Terry and others! After a brief sprinkle of rain, the skies lifted long enough for the ride to begin.
Photo by Greg Siple
The assortment of 12 riders headed west to the Bitterroot Bike Ped trail and proceeded to the foot bridge over Reserve Street. The riders zipped along behind the leadership of Bob Wachtel who set a ‘reasonable pace’ at around 13-14mph. Riders wove their way down to Clements Rd and then right onto 7th St. Everyone was in a good mood and visiting with one another as they headed east to Preston St. Left on Preston to 3rd with a little jog to Short street then right to the end of Juneau Ct. to a single track trail over to Quinn Ct. to Grove Street to The Milwaukee Trail. The Milwaukee River Trail was followed back to the Kim-Williams Trail with an eventual turn onto Station Dr. by the Higgins Street Bridge construction. A right turn on S. 3rd Street down to Myrtle St. then South to Woodford. Left turn on E. Florence and return to The Great Harvest Bread Co. to finish! 11.2miles in total on Bike Paths in the Missoula Valley! It was a great time and was enjoyed by all. See the map at the bottom.
This ride is to become a regular evening ride soon!
Let's celebrate the start of May and more enjoyable biking. Gather at the Great Harvest Bread Co. on Higgins by 1:00 PM to enjoy an afternoon of biking with Carl Ammons, MBC President, riding a loop around part of Missoula. This is a welcome to MBC ride with everyone invited. Family groups are welcome and encouraged. Minor children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Great Harvest is an option for fuel before and after the ride. Social distancing and masks will be in effect.
Please RSVP below so that the leader can contact you if there are any late changes.
Rider requirements and responsibilities:
- A helmet is required for all participants.
- All participants will be asked to sign an acknowledgement of risk (once per calendar year).
- All participants will check-in with the ride leader.
- While we are riding as a group, each individual rider is responsible for complying with all traffic regulations as an independent vehicle operator.
- Due to continuing COVID-19 considerations please bring a face mask for times when we may not be able to maintain safe distances. We will also be maintaining appropriate distances between riders during the ride.
See map below for our intended route.
- Ride name: May Day Ride
- Date: Saturday, May 1, 2021
- Start time: 1:00 PM
- Gathering place: Great Harvest Bread Co.,1407 S Higgins Ave, Missoula, MT 59801
- Distance in miles: approximately 15
- Duration in time: approximately 1 - 1.5 hours
- Pace: Moderate 10 - 15 mph Groups will form at the beginning.
- Planned stops:
- Leader is: Carl Ammons, contact information in RSVP response
We invite anyone to join us and discover the joy of riding with a companionable group of like minded bicyclists. Due to insurance policy requirements, members can ride as often as they like and first time participants may join after this ride on our website. If you would like to continue riding with us during the 2021 biking season you must become a member.