Post event report:
On a cool but sunny February day 8 MBC member riders gathered in the parking lot of the Big Dipper Ice Cream shop in Missoula. All well dressed for this ride with the temperature in the low 30's. We departed the Big Dipper at 1:30 PM, heading west on S. 5th Street to begin following the 1st option route as shown on the map below. 4 riders continued to the original destination of the Dairy Queen on Higgins to enjoy a treat. The other 4 riders took the opportunity to drop off as we passed near a convenient shorter ride to their homes and warmth.
There were a couple of locations where several riders dismounted and walked their bikes through or around patches of ice. We also made 2 alterations in the route by-passing some known areas that had not had enough sunshine to reduce the amount of snow and ice to a safe level.
In spite of some flat tire issues, everyone had an enjoyable and comradely ride to start the 2023 riding season.
Happy Valentines season! Join fellow bicyclists for our traditional Big Dipper to Dairy Queen Spring ride. This will be a moderately slow ride depending on weather and travel conditions. This is a good time to check out any issues with your bike before starting the 2023 riding season. All riders should be aware of the prevailing travel conditions and prepare appropriately. As of this writing, February is being forecast to be on the colder than normal side.
We will gather in the Big Dipper parking lot on Higgins Ave. Please arrive early to check in with the ride leader. We will start the ride promptly at 1:30 PM. During the gathering time you will be asked to sign a one time liability release form that will be in effect for the 2023 season. We will also be taking attendance to maintain our records of riders. There are 4 alternate routes from which one will be selected at the time of the ride. All routes are on paved multi-use trails or streets.
Please see the map of the proposed options; Option 1 - 13 miles, Option 2 - 8 Miles, Option 3 - 7.5 miles, Option 4 - 3.75 miles. If the map does not appear below click here. In the upper left corner of the map page use the square with small arrow to open the legend to be able to turn the route options off and on. Depending on snow and ice there may be minor modifications to the routes at the time of the ride.
Please RSVP if you’re considering joining the ride so that you will be provided the leader's contact information and can be informed of any late-breaking changes (e.g., weather-related cancellation).
- Ride name: MBC Big Dipper to Dairy Queen (the long way)
- Date: 2/18/2023
- Start time: 1:30 PM starting time, adjusted to comply with Big Dipper opening time of 1:00 PM.
- Gathering place: Big Dipper parking lot
- Distance in miles: Option 1 - 14 miles, Option 2 - 8 miles
- Pace: Moderate
- Planned stops: Option 1 - possible brief stop at Fort Missoula Regional Park
- Leader: leader contact information will be provided in the autoresponse email you will receive after you RSVP below.
We invite anyone to join us and discover the joy of riding with a companionable group of like minded bicyclists. Our insurance requires that all participants sign a waiver. Members may participate in MBC rides as often as they like after signing a waiver that covers the entire year. First-time participants may try out MBC as a guest on a ride with us and will be warmly welcomed, they then must join to participate in any future rides. If you would like to continue riding with us during the 2023 biking season please become a member.
Rider requirements and responsibilities:
- A bicycle helmet is required for all participants.
- All participants will be asked to sign an acknowledgement of risk (once per calendar year).
- Riders under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or person with an authorized parental waiver dated for the specific ride.
- All participants must check-in with the ride leader.
- While we are riding as a group, each individual rider is responsible for complying with all traffic regulations as an independent vehicle operator.
- Show courtesy and respect the Rights of Others by:
- projecting a good public image and encourage responsible riding;
- exhibiting considerate behavior towards other riders, pedestrians, motorists and the public showing respect, courtesy, responsibility and due regard for the rights of others.
- avoiding confrontations and report incidents to the police as appropriate.
- avoiding language that is obscene, insulting or threatening, even when provoked.
- For safety, the use of earbuds or headphones while on a group ride is discouraged.
- For safety, the use of "Aero bars" while on a group ride is discouraged.
- Due to continuing COVID-19 considerations please bring a face mask for times when we may not be able to maintain safe distances. We will also be maintaining appropriate distances between riders during the ride.
IMPORTANT NOTICE - E-Bike restrictions on Missoula Bicycle Club rides:
We will welcome e-bike users to participate in MBC events as long as the e-bike is a Class 1 e-bike. Class 1 e-bikes will engage the electric motor only when the bike is being pedaled by the rider and will disengage the electric motor when the speed exceeds 20 miles per hour. If your e-bike does not meet these qualifications, do not bring it to an MBC ride. You can review or complete policy definition "Definition of Vehicles Permitted in MBC Sponsored Events" using the preceding link.
When submitting your RSVP, please note that the number box below "How many other people, other than yourself, are you bringing?" is asking for additional people other than your self. A zero already includes yourself as 1.
Map URL address or the map may appear below if the map does not appear click here. Then in the upper left corner of the map page use the square with small arrow to open the legend to be able to turn the route options off and on.