Post event report:
After gathering under the Bear Tracks Bridge amongst hundreds of kids assembling for the 5 Km Missoula Marathon event for young runners. And awaiting their 10 AM departure, 4 riders followed Greg east on the Milwaukee Trail through the Kim Williams Wildlife area, under the railroad and interstate bridges, around the Canyon River Golf Course, and out Deer Creek Rd. to the parking area access to the historic Tunnel #13 1/2. We stopped briefly before returning by the same route.
Statistics via Strava: Distance: 14.14 mi., Rolling time: 1:35, Elevation change: 399 ft., Average speed: 8.9 mph
Latest update as of 8:45 AM Saturday, 6/17, TODAY'S RIDE POSTPONED until 6/24. Be sure to RSVP below for the new date.
Another weather postponement for this ride. This is the third gravel ride to the tunnel at the old site of the Milltown Dam on the Kim Williams Trail and around the Canyon River golf course. Due to some rock slides at the tunnel we will stop at the fence about 100 yards short of the tunnel. The optional up Deer Creek climb to the Tunnel Overlook is also closed about 100 yards from the overlook. Bear spray is recommended on all trail rides. Cyclocross, touring bikes with 35mm tires or mountain bikes would probably be a good choice of equipment to ride this gravel trail. There are several coffee shops in the Hip Strip for a possible stop after the ride and the Farmers Market is just a short hop over the bridge. Hope to see you there. Greg (ride leader)
- Ride name: Almost to Milltown Tunnel Ride
- Date: Saturday, June 24, 2023
- Start time: 10:00 AM
- Gathering place: Boone and Crocket Club parking lot under the south end of the Bear Tracks bridge
- Distance in miles: ~12 miles mostly flat gravel with some pavement
- Pace: Moderate
- Planned stops: Will stop at the turn around
- Leader: leader contact information will be provided in the autoresponse email you will receive after you RSVP below.